God can handle our honesty

 When there is a burden in my life, who do I bring it to in the first place? And how do I react to it? Do I allow it to become the center of my life, or do I bring - or mention the burden, if I have no strength to bring it anywhere - to the one who is the Center?

How liberating and freeing it is to be honest before God!? No wonder Psalms, the prayer songs of the Bible, are full of lines like "Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again— my Savior and my God!" (Psalm 43:5). 

This kind of a line can only be said after one has been wrestling with God about a burden that really is in ones life; after a time where the heart and its condition is honestly revealed to the One who anyway knows everything. Here, the author of this song has first told and basically complained to God about his situation and circumstances. He has thus been in God's presence. And in His presence our perspective changes to see His possibilities, power and awesomeness. 

What is your mountain? Is it real people who are literally against you, lying about you, like the writer here has the case? Or is it financial crisis? Difficult and challenging or broken relationship(s), sickness, fear, hopelessness, burn-out, difficult work situation, unanswered prayer(s), you name it...? 

Whatever the mountain, there is God, who is bigger than it! And when we look at Him, when we concentrate on Him, hope can arise. Prayer is much more than just telling God our wish list. It is honesty, transparency, unfiltered expression of our emotions, it is pouring out our hearts to Him.

And it is allowing His Holy Spirit whisper - or yell - to our hearts the truth above our circumstances:

God loves you. God has a future for you (eternal!). Nothing is impossible to God. He cares for you. He has thoughts of peace for you. He wants to lift up your soul. He wants to come next to you and lift you up from the darkness you may feel. Even what is dark to us is not dark to the one who is Light. 

And even though our circumstances would remain unchanged, our eyes are looking above them - gazing to God, and then we can know: I will praise Him again - my Savior and my God! 

You will praise Him again! Look at Jesus and pour your heart to him. Be honest, He will not break. 

Kommentit